Sport Fields, Alice Springs
(from Google Earth)
I usually avoid soap-boxing or cross-posting but, for the section quoted below, I will make the exception. This needs to be heard, and heard widely.
“It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:
List of 7 items:
- Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.
- Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.
- Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
- In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.
- Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!
- While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
- There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY.
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns.”
You can find the original, and complete, posting at http://www.theshootist.net/2008/12/lest-we-forget.html.